Re: [DOC] Poorman's Chinese Type1 font for CJK-latex

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 01:19:47PM -0700, rigel wrote:
> Thanks, I've d/l the book and had a peek. Not exactly what i had in mind.
> I'm looking for books discussing chinese typographical principles in general.
> Not necessarily have to be related with computers. I'd like to know what
> are the general rules and conventions. Since now i'm living in the wrong side
> of pacific ocean, it's pretty hard to find a chinese book, let alone such
> specialized one.

Yes, you are right: in traditional Chinese printing/typesetting, there is
_no_ such thing as italic fonts AFAIK.  At least, you won't find any italic
Chinese fonts in any ancient Chinese books.  ;-)

To emphasize text, perhaps a bold font could be used, or a different
font (song -> hei, song -> kai, etc.), or a dot could be added below
(or beside) each character in an emphasized phrase, or just quoted with
single or double quotes, etc.  I guess.  :-)

But yeah, since it is so easy to do italics nowadays, even on Chinese
glyphs, it is not too uncommon to see slanted Chinese fonts on some
modern publications.  Not very professional looking, mind you, and
slanted Chinese characters only work for horizontal writing, not
vertical writing.  :-)

Just my 2 cents.  I am no professional Chinese typesetter.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada