Re: Debian Packages under other system?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:02:00AM +0200, elfyang@elmagn.chalmers.se wrote:

> I am using SuSE 6.2 now, but I am arratived by the nice debian packages
> and also this good mail list,
> so I want to install some debian packages on my computer, is it possible?
> If the answer is yes , could anybody tell me how?
> By the way, I have browsed the FAQ, but failed to find an answer. If it
> is a FAQ, please just give a link. :)

You have install the program alien. They can help
to convert a .deb package to .rpm. But the filesystem structure of
the 2 systems are not always compatible. You might find some minor
problem sometime. good luck.

>From alien's README:
====================
Getting alien:

  The newest versions of alien are available at the alien home page; drop by
  http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/

  On metalab and its mirrors, alien is located in the
  pub/Linux/utils/scripts/ directory.

  You can also get rpm or deb packages of alien:
  deb: ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/unstable/binary-all/admin/alien_*.deb
  rpm: ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/noarch/alien-*.rpm
--
Best regard
hashao