Re: locales

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:35:53PM -0500, Glenn Becker wrote:
> I couldn't get applications to display characters consistently, so started
> looking into locales ... I found that my locale settings were all --
> without my having done anything explicit -- set to zh_TW.big5. My only
> guess was that perhaps the Debian Chinese Panel application had done this,
> but I am not sure.

BTW, it might be safer to use "zh_TW.Big5" instead of "zh_TW.big5".

> But I don't know how to get Netscape to *not do this*. It isn't language
> or font settings in Netscape ... it isn't locale settings. What could it
> be?

Please check two things:

  1. If something like xa or cv or xa+cv is loaded, *kill* it.
     (I wonder if cpanel still loads it or not... I dare say it shouldn't
      use xa+cv any more.)

  2. In Netscape, go to menu: View -> Character Set -> Western (ISO-8859-1).

> I asked in debian-users and in the #debian chat channel on
> irc.openprojects.net, but the question was ignored. :-(

Of course... few, if any of us, hang out there.  :-)

Hope this helps,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada