Re: Netscape 4.76's CJK support...

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:15:04PM -0700, Ryan Murray wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upload 4.76 with a fair amount of changes, and wanted
> to ask about CJK support.

Hello Ryan,

Sorry, I have some major assignments and midterm very soon, so I won't have
time to look into this in detail.  Hence I have taken the liberty to forward
it to the Debian Chinese Project discussion lists.

I recall that Roger So and others have pointed out problems w.r.t. Netscape
4.75's CJK patches and the new glibc2.2 locale support, and Roger has
offered a patch (which he might have already sent to you if he wasn't too
lazy <grin, duck, run>).  But yes, please check with him about the details.
If 4.76 is a security update, you might need to build one for potato
(glibc-2.1.3), and another one for woody (glibc-2.1.94).

> Will it be sufficient to just change the version number field of the resource
> files, or do I need something else updated?

Probably changing all the version number fields would be sufficient.  There
are about 3 of them in each resource file IIRC.

> Also, where can I find the latest versions of the three kits?

Dunno.  Chinese: Ours is already the latest.  ;-)  As for Japanese and
Korean: Ask on debian-i18n and debian-japanese.  :-)

> I'm planning to move them to either a new source package or to
> netscape4.base somehow, or a DBS style setup for the source package,
> so that they don't have to be uuencoded, making them a pain to update.

Nice!  Good luck!  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada