Re: Chinese(GB) input method in emacs?

zw> I'm using XEmacs 21.2 Beta35 Nike compiled locally with xim support (which
zw> is critical). AFAIK, woody version of XEmacs-mule support XIM.
zw>
zw> my gnome-session is under environment variables as:
zw> LANG=zh_CN.GB2312
zw> XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin
zw> (But really i'm not sure with the above, 'cause i use gnome-session+gdm
zw> which is totally beyond my ability to understand, ;)
zw>
zw> and, you don't really need to run XEmacs in a terminal, the X app
zw> is just much more attractive, especially if you get those set of
zw> NeXT look tool icons for XEmacs. :)

Thank you for your helpful information. I hope it will also work on
FSF Emacs even though there are a few diffrences between FSF Emacs
and XEmacs. Firstly I have to make sure whether my Emacs supports XIM
as you mentioned.

thhsieh> Please also note that xcingb2.3.02-3.1 dose not support XIM protocol,
thhsieh> which means, even you install XEmacs-mule with XIM support, you still
thhsieh> cannot input from xcingb2.3. You have to install xcin-2.5 series. The
thhsieh> stable version of xcin-2.5 could be found in Debian packages. If you
thhsieh> want to try the latest under-development version, please see:
thhsieh>
thhsieh> 	http://xcin.linux.org.tw/xcin-2.5/devel.html

Thanks so much for your very important point. I will later.

foka> And, just so that you know, the latest xcin-2.5.2-pre5
foka> (xcin-2.5.1.99.pre5 in Debian) and libtabe-0.1.6 are packaged for
foka> potato-proposed-update.  Find them here:
foka>
foka>     http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian/dists/proposed-updates/
foka>         xcin_2.5.1.99.pre5-1_i386.deb
foka>         libtabe0_0.1.6-0.1_i386.deb
foka>         libtabe-db_0.1.6-0.1_i386.deb   <-- Not yet used for zh_CN.GB2312
foka>
foka> Or, add the line
foka>
foka> 	deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
foka>
foka> to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Thank you for your useful information. It will save my much time.

Best regards,

Wen