Re: Please translate the program and/or manpage strings of APT

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM, 林博仁 <pika1021@gmail.com> wrote:
>   I have done my own translation, which is come from
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7dYLdVpmpHzSHWSXeXoqTdO_WkFxNPOzjhkz0Lu33U/edit
>
>   For those need "original terms" you can find the "unmodifided version" at
> here
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aGTjFi2ZJZodO61vHlcapgKs3ZF-z3dR0UQ1Qb8-XEI/edit
> to make your own with less effort (may have some missed unfixed string).

Google Docs is a bit troublesome to work with as it tries to be clever
(converting " to " and such stuff). Many translators seem to use the
program "lokalize" for working on the po - it can help with suggestions,
spellchecking and other niceties so you might want to have a look.

>   I know little about gettext translating, so you might need to check if the
> syntax is OK.

I took the file you attached and undid some auto-conversions from GoogleDoc.
The attached file is syntactical correct, but while you unfuzzied all
fuzzied strings are still 39 strings completely untranslated. I also
noticed that you have in some strings a space after a placeholder
(like %s) and sometimes not - and if so sometimes the first character
follows closely, but is then separated by two spaces from the rest of the
sentence. Now, I know exactly nothing about the grammatical rules in
zh_TW so this can be absolutely correct, but it looks kinda random for
an outsider like me and I wonder if it is not another problem triggered
by Google Doc usage.

Also in some new strings you translated you included english words
like in these two:

#: cmdline/apt-get.cc:2508
#, c-format
msgid ""
"NOTICE: '%s' packaging is maintained in the '%s' version control system at:\n"
"%s\n"
msgstr "注意:「%s」的 packaging 被維護於「%s」版本控制系統中於:\n"
"%s\n"

#: cmdline/apt-mark.cc:228
#, c-format
msgid "%s was already set on hold.\n"
msgstr "「%s」軟體包裹已經被設定為保持原先版本(on hold)。\n"

Now, these are relatively common words in a debian environment, so I wonder
if your team maybe has an establish practice on how to translated them - or
if this is in fact the established practice: In that case some "older"
strings might need to be updated to reflect that.

A request for zh_CN was sent to debian-l10n-chinese@lists.debian.org,
i am forwarding this subthread about zh_TW to them, too, in the hope
that they can help you with l10n-questions a bit more than I can.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies