Re: Good news!

Dear All,

I am glad to see more than 30 people who attended the Taiwan Debian
Meeting - Debian Birthday Party last weekend. We shared the special
Debian 5.0.2 Arch 'All' and had a lot of fun. It was a great meeting!!

Please forward this message to these people. Someone must has their
contact information either email or phone, or even have both.

Thanks for all your feedback about the SPI issue thus far generated in
that DOT members email thread. I am grateful to many people’s input
especial the one from Rex.

I would like to propose an IRC meeting to discuss an issue which has
been actively in discussions for a while, namely, does Taiwanese Debian
community need to have a global presence through opening its Doman name
to SPI (Software in the Public Interest)?

SPI is a non-profit umbrella organization created on June 16, 1997, in
the state of New York for the purpose of formulating and providing
software systems for use by the general public without charge. SPI’s
by-laws state that SPI shall operate as an effective organization to
train, promote, distribute, monitor, assist, encourage, support software
system developments, and hold technical conferences and seminars to
elevate the quality and broaden the visions of development of system
software developments and their effective adoptions for the general
public. Through years’ efforts from the open source community and the
guiding principles of the SPI, SPI has successfully established itself
by supporting the following projects:
    * Debian
    * Drupal
    * Fresco
    * freedesktop.org
    * Gallery
    * GNUstep
    * GNU TeXmacs
    * The HeliOS Project
    * madwifi.org
    * OFTC
    * OpenOffice.org
    * OpenVAS
    * OpenWrt
    * Open Voting Foundation
    * PostgreSQL
    * Privoxy
    * Tux4Kids

>From the above list, we can see that Debian is a registered trademark of
Software in the Public Interest, Inc. Therefore, it is very natural for
SPI to manage Debian related Domain Names. SPI has been in charge of
Debian official domain names around the world.

To have a SPI affiliated Debian.Org.TW means that Taiwan will have an
official presence from the perspective of SPI’s view. The presence is
meaningful because so far attending Debian held international
conferences have been individual participation instead of representing
Taiwan as a whole.

Taiwan also has specific rules about domain name ownership. Basically,
the .ORG domain name can’t be owned by any individual except the
ownership was in effect before the passing of the domain law.

In short, the benefits of joining the SPI stream are the followings:
    1. Link with Debian main project officially
    2. To have an formal presence at SPI
    3. Taiwan can have its official signature when attending Debain
held international conferences.
    4. To be eligible for tax reduction benefit when making donations to
SPI and server bandwidth to DOT( if the DOT is individually owned, it
will limited its growth because the Debian community in Taiwan will have
difficulty to ask for help which only available to non-profit organizations)
    5. And also for future Debian syncproxy in Asia
    6. Further Debian related events such as
DebCamp/mini-DebConf/DebConf in Taiwan. :)

Joerg Jaspert already created an IRC channel called #spi-tw on oftc.net
for this. For all of your convenience, we hasn't decided the date and
time yet.

Please recommend a reasonable time and a date for this.

Kindly regards,

-Andrew