Re: RFS: mutt-meta

Hello,

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Vern Sun <s5unty@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "mutt-meta".
>
> * Package name    : mutt-meta
>  Version         : 0.7
>  Upstream Author : Vern Sun <s5unty@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/mutt-meta/
> * License         : GPL
>  Section         : mail
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> mutt-meta  - Meta-package for the Mutt Email Client Environment.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/mutt-meta/mutt-meta_0.7.dsc

0. I am not a DD.

1. too much lintian warnings[1] when building

2. the description in debian/control is not good enough, you are
introducing mutt instead of mutt-meta

3. you are providing a config helper for mutt here, it's not a good
idea to name it as mutt-meta, a better name should be like mutt-conf,
or something others,

4. user can't bypass your debconf steps by just press enter.

5. it's not a good idea to use a native package here

6. user want to config mutt for his own account, not for root's,
consider provide a config script instead of debconf

7. no ITP for this package, create an ITP and close it in debian/changelog

8. it's better to cc to debian-chinese maillists (I have done this),
the README and TODO file are in chinese.

Good Luck and keep going.

[1]
$ lintian  -i mutt-meta_0.7_amd64.changes
W: mutt-meta: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/mutt-meta/.mutt/cache/
N:
N:   This package installs an empty directory. This might be intentional
N:   but it's normally a mistake. If it is intentional, add a lintian
N:   override.
N:
W: mutt-meta: possibly-insecure-handling-of-tmp-files-in-maintainer-script
postinst:18
N:
N:   The maintainer script seems to access a file in /tmp or some other
N:   temporary directory. Since creating temporary files in a
N:   world-writable directory is very dangerous, this is likely to be a
N:   security bug. Use the tempfile or mktemp utilities to create temporary
N:   files in these directories.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 10.4 for details.
N:
W: mutt-meta: postrm-does-not-purge-debconf
N:
N:   Packages using debconf should call db_purge or its equivalent in their
N:   postrm. If the package uses debhelper, dh_installdebconf(1) should
N:   take care of this.
N:
W: mutt-meta: copyright-without-copyright-notice
N:
N:   The copyright file for this package does not appear to contain a
N:   copyright notice. You should copy the copyright notice from the
N:   upstream source (or add one of your own for a native package). A
N:   copyright notice must consist of Copyright, Copr., or the Unicode
N:   symbol of C in a circle followed by the years and the copyright
N:   holder. A copyright notice is not required for a work to be
N:   copyrighted, but Debian requires the copyright file include the
N:   authors and years of copyright, and including a valid copyright notice
N:   is the best way to do that.
N:
N:   If the package is in the public domain rather than copyrighted, be
N:   sure to mention "public domain" in the copyright file. Please be aware
N:   that this is very rare and not the same as a DFSG-free license. True
N:   public domain software is generally limited to such special cases as a
N:   work product of a United States government agency.
N:
N:   Refer to http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html for details.
N:
W: mutt-meta: control-file-is-empty config
N:
N:   The package contains an empty control file, which is most probably an
N:   error.
N:
W: mutt-meta: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
N:
N:   The synopsis (first line in the package "Description:" field, the
N:   short description) ends with a full stop "." character. This is not
N:   necessary, as the synopsis doesn't need to be a full sentence. It is
N:   recommended that a descriptive phrase is used instead.
N:
N:   Note also that the synopsis is not part of the rest of the
N:   "Description:" field.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 3.4.1 for details.
N:

--
Best Regards,
 LI Daobing