Re: the best way to display and type chinese in debian?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 07:43:36PM -0400, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I am wondering what's the best way to display and type chinese in
> 	debian(both in console and X window). Is there any universal
> 	solution?  I know in X window, I can use xa+cv + xcin but is there
> 	any UTF8-type of solution as in gtk?

No, not xa+cv + xcin2.3, but xcin alone, since xcin uses the standard
XIM protocol that is supported by X11, Netscape 4.7x, Mozilla, GTK,
Qt, GNOME, crxvt (rxvt-ml), and just about everything else.
xa+cv was a clutch.  The XIM protocol is _the_ standard for i18n/L10n
in X11.

To answer your question:

	1. apt-get install task-chinese-t
	2. Visit  http://www.debian.org/intl/zh/  and read the FAQ.
	3. Since you use Big5, for console, I suggests chdrv:
		apt-get install chdrv chdrvfont
	   You may also try jmcce, ole, yh, etc.
	   (Hmm... I guess jmcce/ole isn't uploaded yet... :-)

Hope this helps,

Anthony

--
  Debian GNU/Linux Chinese Project ...... http://www.debian.org/intl/zh/