locales

Pardon me for jumping in - I just joined this list.

I have been playing with Chinese computing under Debian /Linux but have
been confused by the topic of locales.

I couldn't get applications to display characters consistently, so started
looking into locales ... I found that my locale settings were all --
without my having done anything explicit -- set to zh_TW.big5. My only
guess was that perhaps the Debian Chinese Panel application had done this,
but I am not sure.

I finally figured out how to reset locale values; however, most
international characters in Netscape (French, Spanish characters with
accents) show up as Chinese characters. And it seems that it is a *pair*
of alphabetic chars (the 'ca' in the word 'Francais' for example) that is
being translated to a Chinese character - which makes sense since Chinese
characters are double byte.

But I don't know how to get Netscape to *not do this*. It isn't language
or font settings in Netscape ... it isn't locale settings. What could it
be?

I asked in debian-users and in the #debian chat channel on
irc.openprojects.net, but the question was ignored. :-(

Glenn Becker
Online Producer, Community
SCIFI.COM