Re: Unicode 版的 Debian/CLE

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:53:08PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> XFree86 4 的 freetype 模塊可以把 *-gb2312.1980-0 的 *TTF* 字體讀成 *-iso10646-1
> 但是目前的 Arphic etc. 中文 TTF 字體是只應用于 xtt 模塊的?
> 這樣的話,就不必用 -gnu-unifont-* 字體了,因為它實在很難看。

This has nothing to wtih the modules, neither is there such thing as
"gb2312.1980-0 的 *TTF* 字體". All the modern Window ttf fonts (such
as Arphic ones) are unicode encoded. Part of the jobs the font modules
(both freetype and xtt) have to do is to convert on the fly whatever
legacy encoding to unicode/iso10646. The XLFD such as "*-gb2312.1980-0"
is just to tell the modules what legacy encoding is used. You can add
a line in your fonts.dir:
   *-whatever-your-arphic-font-xlfd-look-like-iso10646-1
Both modules will be happily accept it. Give it a try, you'll find out.

Though Arphic fonts are so called proportional font, not suitable for use
in terminal emulators such as xterm or rxvt.

> 哈哈,是不是說我也可以用 bimsphone 了? ;-)

But you still have to use "zhu yin fu hao". I don't know about you, but it's
hack of pain for me. I heard that in xcin 2.5.2.2 there's a pinyin bimsphone
module. The other day I played with it for a couple minutes and no success.
I can switch to the pinyin bimsphone method, but nothing happens when I press
any key. My zhuyin-pinyin map etc. seems in correct place. Does anyone know
if it really works yet? or I miss anything?

Regards,
rigel