Re: I plan to add GBK support for GNU emacs

> I think you can find what you want in the packages source such as unicon.
  Thanks for your suggestion, but there are larger differences
  between the encoding system of Emacs/Mule and other softwares such
  as unicon and cxterm, etc, IMHO.

  I have managed to solve the GBK support problem in Emacs21, after 10
  days' hacking.

  My scheme has great advantage that, users need not to patch their
  existing emacsen or do recompiling.

  Users get GBK support for emacs by installing a package purely
  written in Emacs Lisp(with the main part in CCL codes). (Ya, I have
  made a scratch deb for it). Where CCL stands for Code Conversion
  Language(A subsystem of EMACS/MULE).

  But it was not perfect, till now.
  Many things to do for completing it:

  [1] Support for Xemacs and GNU emacs 20.
  [2] GBK <--> Other encoding conversion.
  [3] Docs.

  [4] Not a part this project, but it is necessary that
      We need a FREE GBK font!!!

  As least, I can edit files with GBK characters,
  display GBK chars, save files with GBK encoding.

  I can't input chinese with GBK encoding with input and
  X selection, because I haven't written a fuction to do
  GBK <--> GB2312 conversion :(
  But my can input Chinese with an input methed (the dict is converted
  from UCDOS PINYIN) based on Quail.
  (Quail is a subsystem of Emacs/Mule.)

  Also I have

> BTW, isn't GNU Emacs 21 closed down? Where did you get it? Or do you
        It's a pretest version of GNU Emacs 21.
        I got a Debian package for Emacs21.0.104 from:

http://people.debian.org/~kitame/emacs21/

        But now, it has been remove the above url :(
        See http://people.debian.org/~kitame/emacs21/00README :

,----
| emacs21 deb was removed.
|
| The reason is in Gerd's mail.
|
| From: gerd.moellmann@t-online.de (Gerd Moellmann)
| Date: 21 Aug 2001 10:01:15 +0200
|
| > The reason we're not doing a public pretest is that we don't have the
| > resources at present to cope with a flood of pretest bug reports from
| > people who aren't pretesters (our pretesters are supposed to know how
| > to debug Emacs, and maybe fix bugs themselves).  When you release the
| > pretest version of 21 to the public, and quite some people seem to
| > know that you do, you're effectively delaying the real release.  I
| > hope that isn't your intention.
|
| Regards.
| Takuo KITAME. (Tue Aug 21 16:42:23 UTC 2001)
`----

But you can get tarball of Emacs21.0.104 from
  ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/mule/.notready/

  emacs.xdelta                              818 Kb    Sat Sep  1 08:14:00 2001
  emacs.xtar.gz                           19793 Kb    Sat Sep  1 08:22:00 2001

It seems that emacs21.0.104 will be the last release of pretest,
before emacs21.1 release. :(

I found http://www.m17n.org/mule-archive/ is good place for users
of emacs/mule.

Best Wish