Re: [Fwd:] Re: [alert] i18n may be removed from X11

: Personally, I don't give a dime to OpenGroup and their X11R6.x.
: They are not vital. When X11R6.4 was released, they threatened
: to close its door. Free Software community didn't give in, so
: OpenGroup gave in. Although the progress on XFree86 is slow,
: X11R6.4 is even slower now a day. No much people contribute to
: the OpenGroup's X11. Commercial venders working on their own
: version of X11. The result is OG's version X11 is dragging our
: for so long.

Yes, you are right. But although the commercial venders working on
their own versions of X11, the very important thing is that they all
follow (or be compatible with) the OG's X11, say X11R5 or X11R6.
They just based on OG's X11 and do their extentions. Therefore, this
enables us that we can follow OG's X11 to develop our programs and
ensure that this program is protable to many of the UNIX plateforms.

: Luckily, XFree86 now gets the point and starts moving on its own.
: We already have many things that are not in OG's X11. Although the
: extensions still try to keep compatible with OG's X11, I don't
: think it will last long before the compatibility thing is too much
: a burden. Then compatibility will not be kept. Or maybe OG's will
: be forced to catch up with XFree86. You know how long it takes
: them to open Motif after Motif lost its edge to Free alternatives.

Surely XFree86 is working on many impressive facilities which are
not found in OG's X11, e.g., TTF, Xutf8*() .... But for the programmer
who want to develop the cross-plateform programs, he has to take into
serious consideration if he could use these new facilities or not.
At least for me, sorry that maybe I am not wise enough, but it is
really a nightmare to write a working source/Makefile/autoconf for
many kinds of UNIX plateforms. :-)))

For example, I have struggled over 2 weeks just want the new version
of the xcin source could be successfully compiled in both GNU/Linux
and NetBSD (FreeBSD and other UNIXs still not tested). The new source
currently does not include the new facilities of XFree86, but it already
involves so many stuffs. ....

: Anyway, I don't think compatible with X11R6.x should be a major
: fact that stop us from moving forward. We CJK users suffer the
: most without the Unicode conversion. Therefore I would like to see
: the conversion process goes faster, not slower.

If the compatibility issue could be properly addressed, I advocate
that the conversion process could go ahead faster. :-)

T.H.Hsieh