Problems with chinese chars
Problem: when changing the default language to zh_TW.Big5 and charset to
big5 in KDE, the cpu usage goes up to 100% and I have to wait for several
minutes for every window redraw.
Installation: ar pl fonts, x-ttcidfont-conf, xfs-xtt. All updated
yesterday. The displaying of chinese chars has never worked before...
Distribution is sid.
The chars are displayed correctly.
The modifications step by step:
1. set the fonts in KDE to a ar pl font. Which one doesn't matter, on all
four fonts the system suddenly slows down. Maybe it's a rendering problem...
2. set language to zh_TW.Big5 in KDE. The system slows down even more...
3. set the charset to big5-0. Now I have to wait for several minutes until
a window is redrawn.
When I change back to language C and charset iso8859-1 everything works
X-ttcidfont-conf is set to xtt, before it was to freetype.
It doesn't matter if I use xfs-xtt or not, the result is the same.
PS: Usually I want to keep my system in english, but I want to display
chinese chars in kmail, so I need to set the charset to big5-0. And that
slows down the system dramatically...
And what I'm worried about is, that when I change the settngs to chinese
the cpu is used for 100% (X 40%, Xfs-xtt 20%, kmail 30%, rest 10%) for the
whole time... the average window drawing time was about 3 minutes!