input methods -- xcin or chinput

Hi,

I'm looking for an input method that closely matches the pinyin I'm
using for a mandarin class (i'm not a native chinese speaker).  I don't
know the exact name of the method I'm looking for though.

I have cxterm running and it's "PY" input method is perfect.  It let's
me type:

	ni3 hao3

and the correct characters come up.

Now I'm looking for that same method for use with xcin.  xcin has a
pinyin input, but it's not like cxterm's method.  At the end of the day
I want to use emacs-mule for editing, so I'm focusing on getting xcin to
work.

Cheers,
Curt