Re: About Kernel 2.4.2

The script "mkinitrd" doesn't detect the root partition right, you have to tell
it explicitly.  What worked for me was as follows:

Install "initrd-tools" first.  Then modify "/etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf" to
reflect your ROOT partition (ROOT=/dev/hda2, for example), and possibly
"/etc/mkinitrd/modules" to include modules (SCSI driver, for example) that
absolutely have to start before mounting your real root partition.  Now you
should be able to install kernel 2.4.2.  Make sure your lilo (or loadlin or
whatever bootup scheme) configuration has the option "initrd=your_initrd_image"
attached.

You'd better have your old kernel working.  It's very easy to screw up because
most users do not have experience with initrd bootup.

The debian distributed kernel 2.2.1[89] do not the file system created by
"mkinitrd", so don't try initrd with the old kernel.

Good luck,

J. J.

"Gong Yi LIAO (廖宮毅)" 寫道: