> Section: oldlibs
> Installed-Size: 651
> Maintainer: Christian Hudon <chrish@debian.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1.2.3
> Replaces: libtermcap
> Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0)
> Conflicts: libtermcap
> Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-i386/oldlibs/termcap-compat_1.2.3.deb
> Size: 217490
> MD5sum: 5c520fed199307446686ef5b61c5ea2a
>  The termcap-compat package provides the libtermcap.so.2 and /etc/termcap
>  files which are required to run non-Debian, binary-only termcap-based
>  programs. Since libc6-based programs are hopefully "modern" enough to be
>  linked with ncurses (or slang), this package only provides a libc5-based
>  libtermcap library.
>  .
>  You do not need to install this package to run Debian-packaged programs
>  since Debian GNU/Linux uses terminfo and not termcap. You need this
>  package if a program (that you cannot recompile) fails to run with
>  the error message "...: can't load library 'libtermcap.so.2'" or complains
>  about a missing /etc/termcap file.
>  .
>  The termcap-compat package isn't meant to be used to compile programs
>  therefore it doesn't provide all the necessary files for compilation. If you
>  want to compile a program that claims to need termcap, why not try
>  ncurses's termcap emulation instead? It's as simple as linking with ncurses
>  instead of libtermcap (i.e. replace the '-ltermcap' with '-lncurses' in
>  the makefile). Ncurses' termcap emulation routines translate terminfo entries
>  to termcap entries on the fly, so you don't even need an /etc/termcap file.
>  .
>  This package provides:
>   libtermcap.so shared library, version 2.0.8
>   termcap database, version 10.2.7

Actually, I have installed "ncurses3.0" and "termcap-compat", and
successfully compile the program( bbs program, I also modify the library
must be linked). But when I execute the compiled program, segmentation
fault is happened. Then I turn to get a copy of "termcap.a" from the
machine installed RedHat, this time I can successfully run the program.
Anyone knows what's the problem ? Thanks a lot.

--
Sheng-Kai Hung		ICQ: 10497781
E-mail: phinex@hpcc.ee.nthu.edu.tw