Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

On 22 Jan 2001, zhaoway wrote:

> ha shao <hashao@chinese.com> writes:
>
> > A Red Flag guy wrote a tech note in Chinese:
> > http://d23xapp2.cn.ibm.com/developerWorks/linux/i18n/gb18030/index.shtml
> >
> > An review on the old, March version is at:
> > ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/pub/examples/nutshell/cjkv/pdf/GB18030_Summary.pdf
>
> These are exactly where I got my knowledge on GB18030, especially the
> PDF file. (gnome-gv cannot read Chinese characters in it. xpdf needs
> to enable a compile option to read it.)
>
> To make myself clearer, GB2312's problem as an inter-application
> encoding is that it cannot help you communicate with people using
> Big5, to say.  Ditto for Big5. UTF-8's biggest virtue as an
> inter-application encoding is that that helps you distinct every
> possible characters used.
>
> To use GB18030, it keeps compatibity with GB2312, at the same time it
> keeps the quirk as using GB2312 as an inter-application encoding. So
> the question is, what does GB18030 give us? Where's the benefit using
> it? You're still isolated just as you use GB2312.

 GB18030 is at the same situation as UTF-8, because GB18030 covers all of
the code points in ISO10646. For example, you can convert a BIG5 text to
UCS4 and then convert to GB18030 without losing any information. But you
cannot make such convertion between GB2312 and Big5.

> Locale is not perfect here. Yes, ``ls'' and ``sh'' can understand
> GB18030 if you've got your locale straight. But think what will happen
> if you join an IRC channel with people from TW and CN together? The
> man on the other side of the Internet doesn't seem to understand your
> LC_ALL settings. 8-P
  If the other side of the internet does not use UTF-8 locale
he(she) cannot understand you either.

> Oh, the FontSet, that is, if your encodings don't collapse. A FontSet
> of -gb2312.80-0 and -big5-0 will probably leads you to nowhere. While
> the on the fly recoding to UTF-8 from -gb2312.80-0 and -big5-0 will
> helps you. My question with GB18030 is, what does it give?
  You can do the same thing with GB18030!

> The solution for this situation is obvious the one and only
> zh_CN.UTF-8 I'm afraid I have to say so.
  If you have lots of archives encoded in GB2312 or GBK, How much
time will you spend to convert them into UTF-8?