fetchmail 4.0.0 is available
Here it is...the long-awaited (and perhaps long-dreaded :-))
fetchmail 4.0.0 release. You can get it from the fetchmail home page at
or find RPMs in the ftp.redhat.com contrib directory, or find sources
and RPMs and the HTML FAQ on Sunsite in the system/mail/pop directory.
Here's the current news.
fetchmail-4.0.0 (Wed Jul 9 10:30:16 EDT 1997)
This is a "gold" version. Bug cleanup was finished (I hope...) in 3.9.9.
And about time, too, I've been hacking on this code for a year now!
* Fixes for minor compilation glitches on non-Linux systems.
* Progress messages now show total count as well as message number.
* Removed the popclient backward-compatibility hacks.
* Leif Erlingsson <firstname.lastname@example.org> sent a patch to avoid colliding with
the busy-lock after authentication failure on a POP3 server.
* Allow duplicate server hostnames again.
* Fetchmail now returns 0 if *any* poll during the run succeeded.
There are 251 people on the fetchmail-friends list.
With this release, fetchmail development is basically shutting down
until changes in RFCs demand additional features (this could happen
when the DRUMS group releases new RFCs 821bis/822bis or if IMAP
develops more authentication options).
I will of course continue to resolve bug reports and FAQ items, and
will accept minor port changes.
<a href="http://www.ccil.org/~esr">Eric S. Raymond</a>
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
email@example.com . Trouble?
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .