Fwd: debian image questions

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Från: ghostbar <ghostbar@riseup.net>
Date: tors 3 aug. 2023 kl 14:35
Subject: Re: debian image questions
To: <debian-project@lists.debian.org>

On 8/2/23 21:40, Bill Miller wrote:
> I really want to try Debian but i dont live in the 90's CDs and USB
> drives times. why cant i just install Debian from a digital cloud? i
> dont understand why i need physical hardware to run digital software?

Hi Bill,

This is a good question for debian-user@l.d.o instead of
debian-project@, maybe that's a hint about why you can't find what
you're looking for.

You can install Debian in the cloud, of course. Actually, all cloud
providers ship Debian. Is your cloud provider missing Debian?

Or maybe you're mistaking an operating system for an application?

Debian is not a game nor an app, is an operating system[1]. So you need
either virtualized (most cloud-providers) or physical hardware to run
any operating system.

If you want to run it like an application in your current operating
system, you can use a virtual machine like VirtualBox[2].

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
[2]: https://www.virtualbox.org/