Re: problem with DVD installation

Hi,

Gianmarco wrote:
> -> I have tried with: 10.3, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3.
> [...]
> -> my results (with DVD-1 debian version 11.2):
> 1903144+0 record in
> 1903144+0 record out
> 3897638912 byte (3,9 GB) copied, 260,578 s, 15,0 MB/s
> d1fc0ddc81d980b9eddc9d110344bcf17a6cbd5750e147112ccc23bef4d61a8a  -

The DVD is readable at least as far it is needed for the BIOS to find
the EL Torito boot record, the catalog, and the boot images.
But the SHA256 does not match the one of
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/11.2.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

Checking the DVD-1 of 10.3, 11.1, 11.3 would need other count= arguments
for dd. They would have to be derived from their image sizes or from
inspecting the DVDs.
See below.

> I just wanted to tell you that with a 2021-machine, of a friend of mine,
> we tried to download the ISO file (DVD-1) from this 2021-machine, always
> burn it in his 2021-machine (windows-OS) and we always tried to launch the
> installation from the same machine. the result was for me unexpectedly the
> same as all the other tests I performed.

I still believe that the DVDs are somehow bad.

Please inspect those which you still have by:

  xorriso -indev /dev/sr0 -toc -report_el_torito plain

and report the resulting information lines.

With the DVD+RW to which i burnt debian-11.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso i get:

  xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 0
  xorriso : UPDATE :      80 nodes read in 1 seconds
  xorriso : UPDATE :    9791 nodes read in 8 seconds
  xorriso : NOTE : Detected El-Torito boot information which currently is set to be discarded
  Drive current: -indev '/dev/sr0'
  Media current: DVD+RW
  Media status : is written , is appendable
  Boot record  : El Torito , MBR isohybrid cyl-align-on GPT APM
  Media summary: 1 session, 1903144 data blocks, 3717m data,  766m free
  Volume id    : 'Debian 11.2.0 amd64 1'
  Drive current: -indev '/dev/sr0'
  Drive access : exclusive:unrestricted
  Drive type   : vendor 'HL-DT-ST' product 'BDDVDRW GGC-H20L' revision '1.03'
  Drive id     : '... nobody needs to know ...'
  Media current: DVD+RW
  Media product: MBIPG101/W04/48 , Moser Baer India Limited
  Media status : is written , is appendable
  Media blocks : 1903168 readable , 391936 writable , 2295104 overall
  Boot record  : El Torito , MBR isohybrid cyl-align-on GPT APM
  Boot catalog : '/isolinux/boot.cat'
  Boot image   : '/isolinux/isolinux.bin' , boot_info_table=on
  Boot image   : '/boot/grub/efi.img' , platform_id=0xEF
  ISO offers   : Rock_Ridge Joliet
  ISO loaded   : Rock_Ridge
  TOC layout   : Idx ,  sbsector ,       Size , Volume Id
  ISO session  :   1 ,         0 ,   1903144s , Debian 11.2.0 amd64 1
  Media summary: 1 session, 1903144 data blocks, 3717m data,  766m free
  Media nwa    : 1903168s
  El Torito catalog  : 5946  1
  El Torito cat path : /isolinux/boot.cat
  El Torito images   :   N  Pltf  B   Emul  Ld_seg  Hdpt  Ldsiz         LBA
  El Torito boot img :   1  BIOS  y   none  0x0000  0x00      4        7243
  El Torito boot img :   2  UEFI  y   none  0x0000  0x00   5184        5947
  El Torito img path :   1  /isolinux/isolinux.bin
  El Torito img opts :   1  boot-info-table isohybrid-suitable
  El Torito img path :   2  /boot/grub/efi.img

The size to be used with dd's count= is given in the lines

  TOC layout   : Idx ,  sbsector ,       Size , Volume Id
  ISO session  :   1 ,         0 ,   1903144s , Debian 11.2.0 amd64 1
  Media summary: 1 session, 1903144 data blocks, 3717m data,  766m free

Other ISOs will show different numbers than 1903144.

Older xorriso versions might omit some of the shown lines. But the
assessment of node numbers (files and directories), of ISO session size,
of volume id, and of El Torito boot images is supposed to be the same as
in my above example.

You will probably get other info in these lines:

  Media current: DVD+RW
  Media product: MBIPG101/W04/48 , Moser Baer India Limited

It will be interesting to see what DVD type from which manufacturer you
used.

own ideas might mean that they currently have none.

To the bystanders:
A test with an old BIOS machine and a Debian 11.3 DVD-1 would nevertheless
be helpful. I can currently only test the EFI boot path.

To get you going with Debian 11:

Would a USB stick of at least 4 GB capacity be available for being completely
overwritten ?

If so, i propose (with the usual warnings not to overwrite your hard disk
if it happens to be /dev/sdc):

  # Make a backup of the complete USB stick which i assume to be /dev/sdc
  usb_stick_dev=/dev/sdc
  usb_stick_backup="$HOME"/usb_stick_backup.gz
  dd if="$usb_stick_dev" bs=1M | gzip > "$usb_stick_backup"

  # Copy ISO image to the stick (i assume 11.3 here, because it is the
  # version that is currently advised for Debian installations)
  dd if=debian-11.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso of="$usb_stick_dev" bs=1M ; sync

The last step is the risky one.
Check twice whether /dev/sdc is correct or use a safer method like the
one described in
  https://wiki.debian.org/XorrisoDdTarget#Identify_the_device_by_plugging_and_copy_if_it_looks_safe_enough

Try to convince your machines' firmwares to boot from that USB stick.
The ISOs contain a bootable MBR for BIOS and an EFI system partiton.
So they should boot from the USB stick and lead to the same installer
software as does the DVD.

If you later want to get back your USB stick's old content and partitioning,
perform this (again risky) dd run:

  # Restore backup
  usb_stick_dev=/dev/sdc
  usb_stick_backup="$HOME"/usb_stick_backup.gz
  gunzip < "$usb_stick_backup" | dd of="$usb_stick_dev" bs=1M

Have a nice day :)

Thomas