Re: Re: Recommmend Balena Etcher for creating bootable disks

Forwarded to the list after fat fingering the address

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:07:47 +0000
From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com>
To: Ravi Dwivedi <ravi@ravidwivedi.in>
Cc: debian-cd@einval.com
Subject: Re: Recommend Balena Etcher for creating bootable disks

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 01:29:38AM +0530, Ravi Dwivedi wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 10:21:18PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> At https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb I think Balena Etcher [1]
> should
> >> be recommended either replacing win32diskmanager or in addition to it.
> This
> >> is very easy to use and also works on Mac OS.
> >>
> >> [1] https://www.balena.io/etcher/
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Praveen
> >>
> >> Note: please cc me on replies
> >>

> > It is not stable software. It's distributed as a flatpak so anybody
> > who
> > really wants it can install it. It's an Electron app which means that >
> it's
> > huge and has interesting security problems.
>
> Does Balena Etcher has security problems or in general, electron apps have
> security problems?

Electron apps in general are rather large for what they do and the framework
has security problems as I understand it.

> > It works relatively well for SD cards: I am not yet convinced that it
> > works as well for USB sticks.
>
> Balena Etcher works well for me in Debian. I downloaded an appimage from
> their website and I flash my USB drives using Balena Etcher. It is very easy
> to use as well. Therefore, I think that Balena Etcher should be recommended.
>
> PS: Please CC me (ravi at ravidwivedi.in) in your replies as I am not in the
> mailing list.
> (This is a reply to
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2021/08/msg00009.html)

Happy to CC you in this instance since you have expressly requested this.
In general terms, it would be useful to subscribe to a mailing list if you
post a reply to it / engage in discussion on it.

It's not ideal: appimages and flatpaks are also not necessarily ideal.
At the end of the day, it's a file copying app. A 91.2MB zip file of
random stuff requiring an extra entire framework to support it - meh, there
must be easier, more secure ways.

> --
> Ravi Dwivedi
> https://ravidwivedi.in/