Re: Spyder package missing from jigdo amd64 weekly 16 GB stick ISO, but its dependencies are there

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 03:01:54PM +0200, epsommumule@virgilio.it wrote:
>>I am now using the BluRay image which contains Spyder and its dependencies, so I am fine.
>>
>>But obviously there is a problem with the current algo being used if
>>the dependencies of a software end up in an ISO but not the software
>>actually depending on them.
>
> No, there is *not* obviously a problem there. There would be a problem
> the *other* way round, as then you'd have the top-level software
> package but not be able to install it. As I said, we sort packages in
> dependency order and then go through the list as far as we can before
> the media is full.

BTW looking at the popcon numbers, I see that we have:

  spyder-common   1727
  python3-spyder  1124
  spyder          1053
  spyder3          888

So, I'd imagine that spyder-common was the one that got in via popcon
ordering, and python3-spyder (on which it depends) then had to be on too.

The numbers for spyder3 & spyder are presumably a consequence of the
transition from python2 to python3, with the previous situation where
one had a choice of which version of spyder to install, both of which
depend (AFAIK) on spyder-common. The spyder package is now the python3
version and will presumably go up the rankings over the next release,
probably ensuring that it will have very similar numbers to the -common
package and therefore on any particular medium we should again expect to
see all or none of these packages (well, expect for spyder3 which will
have disappeared).

As such, the "problem" such as it is, is only a temporary blip which
will sort itself out by next release, and anyway can only be noticed by
people that obtain media that happen not to include all the packages
they want and then decide (or are forced by circumstances) not to
configure Internet sources to fill in the gaps.

Cheers, Phil.