Replacing live-wrapper for live images by live-build?

Hello Debian-Live list, Debian-Images list, debian-boot list,

About a year ago I wrote [2] about my steps to reproduce the command
line that is currently used to generate the live images. By then it was
already clear that live-wrapper needs a replacement.

Steve McIntyre wrote at that time: "The current live-wrapper code, and
vmdebootstrap, are both basically dead IMHO. I've suggested moving to
something else supported like FAI instead, like the Debian cloud images.
highvoltage has other ideas. I'm not working on anything live-related at
all any more."

In November [1] I wrote to the live list about 'Porting the standard
image from live-wrapper to live-build'.
Since then I've continued working on live-build, which is now IMHO in a
good shape (it even creates reproducible images [3]), but live-build
would need some final features to be a proper replacement.

These final features can be subdivided in a few categories:
* Accessibility: better support for speech-synthesis and adding beeps to
isolinx/grub
* Localisation: support for running the live image in another language
starting from the boot
* Cosmetic: using the official Debian 11 artwork during the boot
* Branding: the live image might need to differ between 'official' and
'unofficial' images

Each of these categories can be tackled with reasonable effort, but some
coordination might be required.

My questions:
* Has it already been decided what the replacement for live-wrapper will be?
* If no, would you consider using live-build again?

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2020/11/msg00001.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2020/03/msg00225.html