Re: [Question] Integrating the debian installer in live-build - DVD, multi-arch, custom, etc.

El 15/4/20 a las 20:56, dbgr escribió:
Hello.

I was not sure if this email should've been sent to both list. So sorry if it should've not :-/

I am using the live-build version 20191221 (the one in testing) on a debian stable/buster system to build an live image with and integrated debian installer cdrom (with the '--debian-installer cdrom' flag/option) with no problems.

My original plan with this image is to use it (also) to install debian in both i386 and amd64 machines, with or without a connection to the internet.

So, for me, I believe the best option would be to integrate a multi-arch and/or DVD version of the debian installer. (even better would be to integrate a multi-arch DVD installer - since debian dropped this version of the installer I've been 'hacking' one together =P)

Is there any way that you know of to integrate any of this installer options (or even a 'custom' one) in live-build? Is there a plan to do so in the future as an option?

Thank you for your attention.

--

dbgr

I advise you to use Super Grub2 Disk to boot either a live cd only image or only an Debian installer only image.

It would require: Super Grub2 Disk 2.04s2-beta2 usb:

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2019/09/08/super-grub2-disk-2-04s2-beta2-downloads/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.04s2-beta2/super_grub2_disk_2.04s2-beta2/supergrub2-2.04s2-beta2-multiarch-USB.img.zip/download

This usb image features a second partition where you can drop ISO images to be booted from.

Debian live cds support booting with such a method.

Debian installation cds do not support booting with such a method (I offered myself to implement it on 2015 but, lack of time, I didn't implement it). So having the Debian installation cd as a single iso image is a no-go.

But we are not done yet.

You can try to do something like this.

You dd the image, you make the SG2DISO partition big enough to handle the Debian live cd iso and maybe a couple more isos.

Drop the Debian live cd iso on the already provided /bootisos/ folder on that second partition.

You can use one of the SG2D options to boot into that iso.

Then you can make an additional third ext4 partition where you dump the blue-ray iso contents (mount loop the iso) and, then edit SG2D grub.cfg menues to have an additional menu to chainload the blue-ray content grub.cfg which I guess will find itself thanks to its /.disk/info file.

What I'm not sure it would work is the installation part, I mean, the kernel and initrd from the blue-ray disk finding their own root filesystem and then being able to install from there.

That's what the debian-cd folks should clarify us. Is it the installer ok on being booted from an ext4 partition? Will be able to install Debian from there without too much hassle?

Or you can test it by yourself by just using debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso as a proof of concept (so that you don't download the whole blue-ray).

Finally Super Grub2 Disk does not support Secure Boot yet so you would have to turn off Secure Boot in some systems for it to boot. But, anyway, if you did a manual build of Debian live cds you would have had the same problem.

If you have doubts with the Super Grub2 Disk steps feel free to open an issue at: https://github.com/supergrub/supergrub/issues and I'll give you a hand there.