Re: Same hashfiles for files that should be different from each other?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 10:43:45AM +0000, Andy Simpkins wrote:
>On 30/03/2019 10:16, Andy Simpkins wrote:
>>
>> So it looks like the contents are identical.  This isn't entirely
>> surprising - the packages are after all should be the same.  I am
>> guessing at this point (and still looking) but there manifests between
>> the different desktop environments (after the desktop environment itself)
>> will be very similar, and only differ from one another because of the
>> size of the desktop environment itself (i.e. a smaller environment takes
>> up less space so there is more room for additional packages, a larger
>> desktop has less space available so the manifest of packages is therefore
>> smaller).
>>
>> Sledge would be able to confirm this with authority, but I believe he is
>> away at the moment.  I will continue digging to try and confirm this
>> hypothesis
>>
>OK so whilst the .contents files are the same for
>debian-live-9.8.0-amd64-cinnamon.contents and
>debian-live-9.8.0-amd64-gnome.contents  their corresponding .packages files
>are not the same, thus indicating (to me - perhaps mistakenly) that there is
>a problem and that this is NOT correct behaviour.

It's basically what Thomas has pointed out elsewhere. The contents
files just list the extra files that are in the ISO. The core
differences from one live image to the next are the different desktop
setups, and that's all contained within the squashfs - see the
*.packages files for lists of what's contained in the squashfs on each
image.

I'm actually slightly surprised that the contents files are not even
more close together, but this is just down to dependencies. As part of
the live-wrapper run, we add a list of a few extra packages that might
want to be used for installation, *on top of* the desktop system in
the squashfs. The exact list will be modified by dependencies: in some
cases some of the needed packages will already be covered by what's in
the squashfs.

Does that make sense?

Dance like no one's watching. Encrypt like everyone is.
 - @torproject