Re: Syslinux in stretch-backports (Re: syslinux_6.04~git20171011.af7e95c3+dfsg1-4~bpo9+1_amd64.changes is NEW)

Hallo Carl,

thx for the pointer. I fit in the group described with "conditions when
you might want to consider using it" ;-)

A feature I missed is "chainload". I wanted to chainload grub2, just to
give it a try.

"As I write (summer, 2018), the latest version is 6.0.3, and has not
been updated since 2014, so it's beginning to look like it's been
abandoned. "

Looking at the git repo proves this comment wrong:
https://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git/shortlog

Obviously the author missed the 6.0.4 release (which has not been
published in the news section of the syslinux homepage)

Of course, grub's commit log looks much more impressive:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/log/

Ingo

Am 14.11.2018 um 17:09 schrieb Carl Karsten:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM Ingo Wichmann <iw@linuxhotel.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve,

>> I've got a working setup with pxelinux. And I don't want to maintain a
>> grub and a syslinux configuration, both. Most distros ship with isolinux
>> as bootloader on the installer image. So it's easy to copy and paste the
>> configuration to get the installer running on PXE.
>>
>> So until now I don't see any advantages moving to GRUB. Where do you see
>> advantages in using GRUB for PXE?
>
> I just read most of these pages, which have sections like: "When to
> Use SYSLINUX" and "Conditions in which GRUB 2 may not be the best
> choice..."
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/syslinux.html
> Originally written: 6/30/2013; last update: 7/7/2018
>
> It is the best writeup I have seen on the pros n cons of all the boot
> manager/loader options, and very up to date.
>
> my summary: "It depends" ;)
>
> I think the best choice for "this" is to follow the default of the
> base os install, which is currently grub 2.  if someday that changes,
> then we should migrate all the things.
>
> Similar to using the same linux kernel on the installer and the installed os.
>

>> Ingo
>>

>>> Ingo (in cc:) told me:
>>>
>>> --begin--
>>> With the version in stretch I was able to boot the Debian and Ubuntu
>>> installers. But not the Centos and SuSE installers:
>>> 51M     centos7_64/initrd.img
>>> 45M     ubuntu1804_64/initrd.gz
>>> 24M     debian9_64/initrd.gz