Re: Scheduling 9.5

On 2018-06-08 18:51, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
[Cc += debian-kernel]

On Sun, 2018-05-20 at 12:04 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
On 15037 March 1977, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
[...]
We're past any of the above by now, and while looking through the to-do
list for the final jessie point release, I noticed that we currently
have some packages in opu with versions higher than stable.

We can either accept the packages and put up with the situation for a
short while, or do 9.5 before 8.11. In practical terms, that would
likely mean both 9.5 and 8.11 on June 23rd, freezing both next weekend.
How do people feel about that?

After discussions on IRC, it appears unlikely that the currently WIP kernel update will be ready in sufficient time to be happy with it on all architectures.

So the possible options are:

- go ahead with freezing 9.5 this weekend, and hope the kernel's ready in time - go ahead with freezing 9.5 this weekend, and update the kernel via stable-updates later - just do 8.11 this weekend, accept the version skew and get 9.5 released as soon as we can

To be entirely honest, I'm not that comfortable with announcing a freeze this close to the actual date. In terms of packages with version skew, we have:

- packages from the security archive, where users upgrading should already have the jessie-security package installed in any case - intel-microcode, src:patch and clamav, where it looks like the jessie package should work on stretch without issues
- tzdata, which is already available from stretch-updates.

Given all of the above, I think the sanest option is to concentrate on getting 8.11 done and jessie off our radar and then get 9.5 sorted.

For suggested dates for 9.5, we know that June 30th is a no-go, Debcamp starts on July 21st and then Debconf on the 28th. So that leaves us with:

- July 7th
- July 14th

Are people available for either or both of those dates?

Regards,

Adam