Re: Beep twice when install starts

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 01:30:01AM +0200, arne wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I hear my speaker beep twice when my thin client boots with the
>debian installer (stretch,buster) on USB.
>When i Have Debian installed I can not get beep working.
>
>I need it because it is meant to be a headless system.
>
>The installer seems to have the only command to make my internal
>speaker to beep.
>
>Can someone shine a light on what command the installer does?

Hi,

It used the support in Isolinux and Grub to cause those beeps,
depending on whether you boot via BIOS or UEFI. Grub is more likely to
be helpful to you on an installed system. In the installer's version
of grub.cfg are the following commands which make the beep noises.

insmod play
play 960 440 1 0 4 440 1

You could use something similar. Even easier, there's already support
in the normal Debian grub packages for making a beep at startup. At
the end of /etc/default/grub:

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

HTH!

"... the premise [is] that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It's not.
 Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining
 the human condition with dignity and respect."
  -- Bruce Schneier