Re: have a mate-desktop CD

Hi,

shirish wrote:
> > $ ./check_debian_iso SHA1SUMS debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso /dev/sdb
> > Does not look like an ISO 9660 filesystem: '/dev/sdb' magic='  '

check_debian_iso reads the ISO image size from the medium in order to
know where to stop checksumming. That's because most media offer more
readable blocks than are occupied by the copied ISO image.

In this case, there was no ISO 9660 superblock to see.

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Then you were definitely using ISO mode in Rufus.

At least it is not the "exact clone of the image onto the USB" which
Pete Batard promises for DD mode of his Rufus.

> we have recommendations for rufus in DD mode, or
> before that win32diskimager.

The FAQ item
  https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
still only mentions win32diskimager.

Given the problems of shirish to effectively use Rufus in DD mode,
somebody will have to take the plight of exercising the procedure and
giving sufficient hints about how to avoid the unwanted ISO mode.
(It's confusing that ISO mode yields a non-ISO 9660 filesystem on the
 USB stick whereas DD mode yields an ISO 9660.)

I got an MS-Windows allergy with consequential wallet constipation.
So i cannot volunteer for mere medical reasons.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas