Re: syslinux: updating in stretch?

Hi,

thanks a lot for your feedback and for explaining the whole process.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 01:44:25 +0200
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> > I didn't think to open a separate bug against syslinux, which
> > would have been the right thing to do… the bug against debian-cd,
> > which is affected by this problem, holds relevant information:
> >     https://bugs.debian.org/857597
>
> It might be a good idea to have a bug report against syslinux as well,
> which can be used for version tracking purposes, which is most
> appreciated by people handling stable-proposed-updates requests (we
> usually consider this mandatory, even if we sometimes let a few
> exceptions go through).

Makes sense, I've cloned the above bug against debian-cd for that
purpose since it contains a lot of useful information on the issue:
    https://bugs.debian.org/879004

> > (...)  I'm able to locally reproduce each of the two problems and
> > also confirm that the respective patches fix the problems.
>
> On top of the stretch package? It's always reassuring for stable
> release managers to have people actually test packages for stable.

Makes sense.  I have built the package as I currently think it should
be uploaded to stretch (in a stretch chroot) and tested all the cases
again. Everything still went fine in my tests :) .  I've pushed it into
the debian/stretch branch of the git repository in case someone else
wants to already start testing it as well:
    https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-cd/syslinux.git

> > (...) the built isohdpfx.bin file (with the fix applied) is
> > identical to a known-good and tested version.
>
> That seems reassuring enough as far as I'm concerned.

I've also checked that it's same file in the package built for stretch
as well (with patches applied).

I'll wait with the pu request until I've also gotten feedback from the
CD team as you suggested.

Thanks again
Lukas