Re: Debian images on Oracle Compute Cloud Service

Hi Charles,

I would like to thank you for this absolutely carefully crafted
message, containing so many important points from the history of
Debian on cloud platforms. This is even more special when there's no
secret that you don't have much time available to do something like
that. I really appreciate.

On 30 January 2016 at 05:11, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> So here is my personnal opinion: go ahead like it was done at the time the EC2
> and Google images were done.  Keep people posted here, make them excited, build
> a community, get feedback, etc.  Just because things can be better later does
> not mean that they are not good enough now.

Although the images aren't published yet and have only been tested by
me and a handful employees from Oracle itself (I'm not one of them), I
do plan do follow the path from James Bromberger and EC2 images:
posting about them and asking for feedback on "debian-cloud" mailing
list anytime it is needed.

> Lastly, If you are getting payed that is great.  I think that the goal of the
> Debian Machine Usage Policies is to prevent unrelated use of our resources.  I
> can not make scientific computations on the Debian infrastructures with the
> sole goal of reducing the electricity bill of my research center, for instance.
> But I do not see why, for performing tasks related to the development of
> Debian, one could not use our machines while being payed.

This makes total sense. I totally misunderstood what the DMUP meant in
the fist time.

> So to cut a long story short, I recommend you to document somewhere the
> difference between the Oracle image and systems prepared by the Debian
> Installer, and to describe concisely the chain of trust, not only of people but
> also of hardware, that should convince readers that the images are as pure
> Debian as possible, and that the possibilty that malwares are introduced
> together with the necesary changes are minimal.  In my opinion, if there is no
> competition or challenge within the Oracle cloud about which images should be
> used by default when somebody wants Debian, then by all means they are
> official.

A few moments ago I've created[1][2] and edited[3][4] some pages on
the Debian Wiki to reflect the work I'm doing regarding those images
for Oracle Compute Cloud Service. It is interesting to notice that
they do not needed more, but *fewer* modifications than their Azure,
EC2 and GCE counterparts.

What I observed for the other cloud providers mentioned above, is that
their images are built by DDs but not necessarily on Debian hardware.
I still have to found a solution for the custom kernel problem (which
can possible be resolved using a private repository, but I'll have to
ask Oracle for it), but when this is settled, I'll work with the
Debian CD team to make this process, like you said, "as official as
possible".

> Have a nice day.

You too, Charles.

> Charles

Thanks again,
Tiago.

P.s.: I've found the bug #706052[5] reported by you nearly 3 years
ago, regarding the intention of documenting the requirements for an
image to be called Debian. The references about the agreement made
between the teams involved on the Azure naming discussion were sent to
it.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/OracleCompute
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/OracleComputeImage
[3]: https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud