Re: are debugging symbols needed to be included?

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 03:35:55PM -0300, jordon@openmailbox.org wrote:
>are there any policy on including dbg packages in iso images? i dont it
>should be expected that users has immediate interest in said packages, unless
>im missing something. debian also asks the user permission to send to the
>developers which packages one installs, so it can be sorted in the images.
>
>what i propose is that dbg and non-dbg packages be separated, say, the former
>are contained in DVDs 6-13 and the later, contained in DVDs 1-5, similar
>division being done to images of different sizes. the main benefit is that
>"common" users (non-developers) would only download the first few images,
>instead of downloading the entire image set.

Hi Jordon,

Yup, that's a reasonable suggestion and something that we're mostly
already doing. The popcon data (as you suggest) is used in sorting the
list of packages for inclusion into our CD/DVD images. Most folks
won't have -dbg stuff installed, so they should sort low
down. Checking the current list from today's weekly build, there are a
few such packages higher up the list such as libc-dbg and
valgrind-dbg, but most are quite a way down.

AIUI also, the recent code for automatically-added -dbg packages does
not put them in the main Debian archive so they won't appear on any
CD/DVD images in that case. That's something to maybe look at in the
near future... :-)

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews