Re: Tentative last d-i release for 2015?

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org> (2015-12-18):
> My apologies. I didn't think this through... I guess we've been
> waiting for this transition for so long that I just was too happy to
> be able to start it. I guess I also thought you were building d-i out
> of testing, and that's why I said we could wait (for the migration) to
> happen until the block was lifted. My bad.

Just as a reminder/clarification for another time:
 - src:debian-installer is special in two ways:
   - it fetches stuff over the network, from testing;
   - it builds a tar archive with installation images, to be included
     along with a tiny .deb (which bundles a few docs).

 - src:debian-installer isn't special in the following ways:
   - it's uploaded to, and built within, unstable;
   - its build-deps are fetched from unstable as well.
   (that's why we had the syslinux thing a few years ago; and the perl
    thing right now.)

> Not sure if it helps, but at this rate, we will have rebuilt
> everything on the "fast" architectures (everywhere except mips*) by
> the end of today. Migration to testing will take longer as there are
> issues to sort out, though again I don't know if that is a problem for
> you or if having an installable sid is enough.

That doesn't help: src:debian-installer has to be built everywhere and
dak copy-installer has to happen before we start building “CD” images;
changelog datamining (used to prepare release announces) also relies on
the build having happened on all archs. So the fast vs. slow archs makes
this moot. There's also the part where developers have to be around (and
have access to the right hardware/tools) to actually do the work…

Mraw,
KiBi.