Re: Debian images (was: Debian images on Microsoft Azure cloud)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 05:33:45PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>On 11/11/2015 05:01 PM, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
>>
>> There is a way of triggering build of this images on AWS hosts from Debian
>> infrastructure with bootstrap-vz though.
>>
>> I know it's not "ideal" but right now I don't know about any other option.
>
>On this topic, I have also things to say.
>
>In the OpenStack world, we have this:
>http://apps.openstack.org/
>
>as you can see, there's the Debian images referenced there. If you
>install Horizon (the OpenStack dashboard), and since the last Liberty
>release (from last October), you can install python-app-catalog-ui,
>which is an extension that lists all images from the openstack.org site.
>
>Until now, images are added to the openstack.org site through the gerrit
>review process. While this may somehow work for the stable images, it
>doesn't for the weekly testing image. Therefore, the app-catalog-ui guys
>are currently working on a REST API, so that we could update the images
>metadata automatically. This is very important, so that later on, a
>system to check the sha256 sums of the .qcow2 images can be made.
>
>So, Steve, do you think the debian-cd image build process could include
>such a REST API request to openstack.org, in order to update the
>app-catalog automatically? This doesn't involve uploading the images,
>just referencing them. Also, I currently don't know how it will look
>like, but I'm almost sure we'll have an app-catalog CLI tool, and we
>will be provided with a login / pass to update the images.

That shouldn't be a problem. In fact, as you've probably seen I
already have been prodded about adding similar virt-builder metadata
for the existing cloud images, to help the libguestfs folks.

There's a lot of publishing stuff that we can do here, whatever makes
sense for the images tbh.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...