Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On 2015-01-07, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 08:59 -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> But I still have a question about the hd-media sd-card images -- aren't
> they only useful in concert with something which adds the .iso etc to
> the image too?

Yes, the hd-media images still need an .iso file on some other media,
such as USB, SATA or an additional SD card.

> And therefore aren't they more usefully built along with
> that iso? Otherwise how do you know how big to make the partition to
> contain the iso at d-i build time given the varied sizes of .iso and
> sd-card you can buy?

It would also be nice to have media with the .iso file built-in, but I
don't think a requirement for it to be useful without that.

I definitely see the case for moving some of the code into debian-cd, or
another utility.

I've considered making such a utility and shipping it in u-boot-tools,
but didn't get around to it for jessie.  The sd-card offsets in this
patchset duplicate information in the various u-boot* README.Debian
files, and it would make sense to move that into a script. This script
could also generate SD images with a vmlinuz, initrd, bootscript, dtb,
.iso, etc. and would be useful outside the context of debian-installer.
Then, if debian-installer, debian-cd, or some other utility wanted to
use it, then they could depend on u-boot-tools...

live well,
  vagrant