Re: Providing (armhf) u-boot images together with d-i images?

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 02:51:18PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 10:46:37AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > BTW our kernel now supports the /chosen/stdout-path property in fdt and
> > will automatically put a console on it.
>
> Just to make sure that I understand that correctly: with the
> u-boot and kernel versions currently in Jessie, there is no need
> to ever pass a console parameter to the kernel on any platform?
> Or is this something that was introduced after the u-boot v2014-10
> release in Jessie?

Hello,

I have in the meantime run some tests and this functionality does
not seem to be available with the current versions in Jessie. If
I do not explicitly set bootargs to include a console parameter,
I get no console output, although u-boot has a valid ${console}.

Even if we cannot use that functionality at the moment, I am
interested in how it works: does u-boot just copy the content of
${console} into the /chosen/stdout-path property, or is there
some additional mechanism to hand over a baudrate for serial
connections to the kernel?  I ask because in the former case we
would have the same baudrate mismatch problem as we have now on
i.MX6-based systems and for which we have implemented a
workaround in the boot.scr.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der