Re: Adding ppc64el support in debian-cd

Hi,

> >  if [ -f CD$N/ppc/bootinfo.txt ] ; then
> >       add_mkisofs_opt $CDDIR/../$N.mkisofs_opts "-chrp-boot-part"
> >  fi

> I've switched to that and added a hard dependency on xorriso too.

Well, let's see how much havock this creates.

I was prepared to give some more reasoning after having read
my cheat sheet. bootinfo.txt is supposed to be what El Torito
or MBR is for BIOS: The first pointer to custom boot software.
Human readable, except the icon bitmap.

CHRP specs [1] describe an optional MBR mock-up with a single
partition of type 0x96 which spans over the whole ISO image.
Not knowing about genisoimage's -chrp-boot, i implemented this
in xorriso by -as mkisofs -chrp-boot-part.

man genisoimage sparsely documents "-chrp-boot Add CHRP boot header."
I see a CHRP pseudo-MBR in debian-6.0.5-powerpc-businesscard.iso.
So most probably both options do the same.

It might be that the MBR partition table is not needed for ppc64el
at all. chrp1_7a.pdf 11.1.1. Media Layout Format promises to
recognise ISO 9660 on unpartitioned disks.

[1] http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/contrib/doc/specs/protocol/chrp/chrp1_7a.pdf

Have a nice day :)

Thomas