Re: UEFI corner case - installer booted in UEFI mode, existing system in BIOS mode

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 02:28:06AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure that partman-efi is the right package for the bug
> report, but it's as good as any. So, it's way past time to fix this
> particular bug. After a fair amount of playing with systems like this
> and discussing with folks, my proposed solution is:
>
>  1. Somewhere during initial partman setup (probably partman-efi?), we
>     look to see if:
>
>     (a) we're in UEFI mode (trivially true if we're in partman-efi); and
>
>     (b) we have an existing set of partitions that are *not* set up
>         for UEFI boot (can we use os-prober to get a list at this
>         stage?) Look for an existing partition setup and maybe
>         bootable flags, but no detectable EFI System Partition.
>
>  2. If the above is the case, warn the user:
>
>     "Your computer's firmware has started the installer in UEFI mode
>      but there are existing Operating Systems already installed:
>
>      * OS 1
>      * OS 2
>
>      "These will not boot in UEFI mode. If you still wish to be able
>      to boot one of these existing systems after installing Debian in
>      UEFI mode, this will be difficult. Your best way forward is to
>      reboot and restart the installer in 'BIOS compatibility
>      mode'. You will need to reconfigure your computer's boot options
>      to do this.
>
>      "If you wish to install Debian in UEFI mode and don't care about
>      keeping the ability to boot one of the existing systems,
>      continue."
>
>      <Go Back>	<Continue>
>
>      If the user wants to continue, we could even suggest blanking the
>      partition table(s) and starting again with GPT, but I don't think
>      we currently have a "blank partition table" option exposed within
>      d-i?
>
> What do people think of this plan? What have I missed?

Isn't it better to run this test in partman-efi's isinstallable script?
Then if things are set up in the described way, grub-efi just won't be
installed, but the normal grub will, and the system will continue to
boot in BIOS fallback as before.

It might make sense to give a warning or error message in case the
described setup exists and an ESP partition is created in the
partitioner, but other than that...

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26