Re: Summary from the d-i / debian-cd BoF at DC14

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 11:56:37AM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
>On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 20:23 +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if it was possible to build installer images without a
>> specific size limit, i.e. include all packages for tasks x, y, z. Doing
>> so might result in nice images for GNOME, KDE, XFCE, * that are just as
>> large as they have to be.
>>
>We could also be looking at images that fit usb sticks 4GB (done), 8GB &
>16GB.  FYI the full i386 takes up ~52GB on a usb stick.

As I said in the BoF, I'm loath to do that. The number of possible
combinations is huge, for not much gain.

We also possibly have too many choices right now. We're already seeing
occasional confusion from folks who don't understand what they should
download.

"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess