Re: debian-7.4.0-mipsel-netinst.iso without boot sector

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:52:31AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>while looking for test images with boot sectors for mips and mipsel,
>i notice that
>   http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.4.0/mipsel/iso-cd/debian-7.4.0-mipsel-netinst.iso
>delivers an ISO image without any boot sector.
>
>The file
>  .disk/mkisofs
>inside the image does not show the option -mipsel-boot which would
>be needed to generate a DEC Boot Block for MIPS Little Endian.
>
>Is this intentional ?
>If so:
>- Are there problems with the boot sectors produced by xorriso ?
>- Is no boot sector needed for debian arch mipsel ?
>  How else is it supposed to boot the ISO ?

Hi Thomas,

It's down to the following in debian-cd/tools/boot/wheezy/boot-mipsel:

# Mipsel is currently not bootable in wheezy, so bail out here
echo "Mipsel booting disabled, check with Sledge or fjp"
exit 0

We stopped building d-i for any of the older mipsel hardware that
booted off CD quite a while back, in fact. There's no problems I can
see with the mipsel boot code in xorriso, we're just not using it at
the moment.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.