Re: new tasksel

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 10:52:27PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I have made some significant changes to tasksel, that will need changes
> elsewhere. I plan to upload this to unstable pretty soon, feedback permitting.
>
> Some of the more popular desktop environments are individually
> selectable in tasksel, in a little sub-menu.
> (Of course that's displayed suboptimally due to debconf, wah.)
> (There is still, obviously, a default desktop.)

Joey,

It would be handy to have a text only, no X Windows option for servers / small development boards.

This would ideally appear as something like:

	(*) Minimal text only install

possibly installing only SSH as an additional service. Ideal for the most minimal of server installations.

Something fairly similar to Robert Nelson's installation for console only for BeagleBone Black / Ivo's
minimal installation for Cubieboard. This would also make an ideal starter for a server install in a datacenter, for
example.

Is there any scope/space for this: essentially only a tiny step up from what you'd get by installing using a netinst
without a mirror?

All the very best,

AndyC