Re: Why Debian has only 3 DVD's ISO?

arypsg wrote:
> Why Debian has only 3 DVD's ISO?

All of the DVDs images are available.  It is only that Debian is not
hosting them as iso images on their download site.  There are 10 DVD
images for amd64.

But only a very unusually rare number of people will need any of the
higher numbered DVD images.  I assume this is an academic question of
yours as to why the images are not available?

> I thought amd64 and i368 are common architectures in Debian, but it seems
> that I was wrong, as you on
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ you said:
> " For the less common architectures only a limited number of images from
> the CD and DVD sets is available as ISO file. The full sets are only
> available via jigdo."

That does seem like a minor documentation bug that should be updated
on that page.  Until they became so large all images were hosted there.

> On http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/amd64/iso-dvd/ there are only
> 3 DVD's ISO.

It is a problem of mirror site disk space and bandwidth.  Mirror sites
do not have infinite disk space nor infinite bandwidth.  There is a
cost to everything.  At some point there isn't enough space nor
bandwidth nor the associated actual cost of hosting them.  Mirrors
would stop hosting Debian if it grew without bounds.

Therefore compromises must be made.  The very little used images are
not hosted.  It is very unusual for anyone to need or to use those
images.  However they are available and you can create them for
yourself very easily.

If you desire any or all of the 10 DVD set for amd64 then they are
available for very easy creation using jigdo-lite.  Here is an example.

  # apt-get install jigdo-file

  $ mkdir jigdo-stuff
  $ cd jigdo-stuff
  $ jigdo-lite --noask http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/amd64/jigdo-dvd/debian-7.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.jigdo
  ...lots of output and some minutes of time...
  OK: Checksums match, image is good!

  $ ls -ldog debian-7.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 3998007296 May  8 12:39 debian-7.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

Very easy!  I did the above as I wrote this response to verify that
the process was exactly as I cut and pasted it.  (I also needed to
make a disk image for my own purposes so it was convenient to do.)

Bob