Re: /debian-cd/ versus /cdimage/archive/

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 03:28:34PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
>Control: reassign -1 cdimage.debian.org
>Control: severity -1 wishlist
>Le 15/01/2013 03:51, opensource@tigusoft.pl a écrit :
>>
>> Proposed solution:
>>
>> simply make archive the better (universal, bookmarkable) URL, have it also
>> host current version (like 6.0.6 now) and as for /debian-cd/ make it redirect
>> or symlink into archive for now.
>
>I guess /debian-cd/ do have its fair use for mirroring, especially for
>mirrors that don't host the full archive of old stuff, but debian-cd
>people may provide more rationale if they feel the need to.

Hi David,

Yes, that's exactly the reasoning. The official mirrors of debian-cd
need/want a single tree that they can mirror safely for just the
current release, and that's why we have the separation. The archive
area is simply meant to be a non-mirrored static archive of older
releases that we keep around for posterity. We also *don't* keep all
the full ISO images in that area for each release, relying instead on
jigdo for many of the old images.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...