Re: Problem with DVD #8

On 21/12/12 05:36 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
[ Replying to the debian-cd list too. *Please* follow up to the lists
   too when you're talking about problems. Gmail is atrocious for
   this. ]

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 02:19:15PM -0500, Parviz Rasoulipour wrote:
On 21/12/12 01:41 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 01:20:08PM -0500, Parviz Rasoulipour wrote:
Hello,

I downloaded the 8 DVD images from the Debian website
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/i386/iso-dvd/

andextracted contents of the images in my hard disk to be used as
local repository. It seems that there is a problem with the last
image (# 8), because the Synaptic package manager issues an error
warning when the address of the directory containing DVD8 is included
in the list of its third-party repository.
Hi,

Could you please show us the details of that error from synaptic
please? It's a bit difficult to diagnose the problem without that. :-)

OK, Here is what I did in detail:

1) Downloaded all the DVD images.
2) Extracted contents of the images into separate directories on my
hard disk.
    For example, the content of image #1 was extracted into:
    home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD1
    And I did similarly with other images.
4) I included all the following lines into the Synaptic via
    Settings>  Repositories>  Third-party Software>  Add

deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD1 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD2 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD3 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD4 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD5 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD6 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD7 squeeze main contrib
deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8 squeeze main contrib

Each line was fed into the Synaptic separately. All was OK except the
last line which caused the following error message (The message is in
the double quotes):

"Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted
because of network problems. If available an older version of the
failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored.
Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in
the preferences is correct.

Failed to fetch file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
File not found
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead."
Right, thankyou for sharing that - it's more helpful. :-)

Then I removed the last line and reloaded again. It was OK.
Now, I am guessing that either there is a problem with manufacturing
the last image (#8) OR the contents of the last image cannot be
included like that of other DVD images.
There isn't a problem with DVD#8, it just doesn't contain any contrib
packages. Your method of adding all DVD directories and listing both
main and contrib for all of them is the problem here. If you re-add
with just

deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8 squeeze main

then it will work fine. If you want to solve this problem more
generally, check to see if $DVD/dists/squeeze/$suite exists before
listing $suite for that DVD. If you use apt-cdrom to add (real) CDs or
DVDs, it works out which suites to include automatically using the
metadata in dists/squeeze/Release.

OK?

Thank you.