Re: Making netinst images

Hi,

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Be aware: to make a working image using xorriso, you'll need a newer
> version of xorriso than is available in stable or testing.

xorriso may manipulate the original ISO image.
It can add or overwrite files, or rename them.
The image grows by a new directory tree and by the data of
newly inserted files.

I just made a test with xorriso-1.0.4 and the Debian 6.0
amd64 netinst image.
The test brings a file from disk filesystem into the ISO image.
If the target address /my/iso_file already exists, then it
gets overwritten.

  xorriso -boot_image isolinux patch \
          -dev ./debian-6.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso \
          -map /tmp/some_file_on_disk /my/iso_file

I copied the image onto USB stick and CD.
Both boot to the Debian (ISOLINUX ?) install menu which allows to
enter the help menu.

The new file from disk had 610,984 bytes.
The image file grew by 2,637,824 bytes to 177,537,024.
(The file content, new directory tree, tree copy for partition 1,
 320 kB of padding.)

xorriso-1.0.4 is still on its way through the packaging process.
So i also tested with version 0.5.6 which is available in squeeze.
The image lost its fancy MBR partition table offset and the image
file is smaller than the announced partition size (known minor bug).

Nevertheless, the image boots from USB stick and CD.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas