Re: re-organizing dvd

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 02:29:32PM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
>Hi,
>I have been using Debian for couple of years.
>I was wondering if forthcoming release dvds could be re-organized.
>Like:
>DVD 1 - Desktop with apps ( I think both KDE and Gnome might fit in one dvd)
>DVD 2 - Server apps + Network apps (most used ones)
>DVD 3 - Web apps (mostly web based apps like Phpmyadmin..etc)
>DVD 4 - Others (libs, apps..etc)
>DVD 5 - Other desktops (Like XFCE, LXDE..etc. Gnome if does not fit in DVD 1)
>
>DVD 4 and 5 might be possible to club in on.

Hi,

The packages on the CD and DVD sets are currently organised
automatically to optimise the layout in terms of dependencies and
popularity. That can be reasonably easily worked out automatically.

The scheme you're suggesting would take a lot more manual effort,
leaving it more prone to mistakes. It also doesn't scale for the next
release - weekly squeeze builds are already up to 7 DVDs for i386 and
not very far off spreading on to number 8.

"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess