Re: Debian live can't be downloaded by bittorrent (while .torrent files are online)
- To: Carlos Carvalho <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Debian CD-ROM Team <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Debian live can't be downloaded by bittorrent (while .torrent files are online)
- From: Mattias Wadenstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:44:48 +0200 (MEST)
- Message-id: <Pine.GSO.email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <Pine.GSO.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4C0202BB.email@example.com> <Pine.GSO.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4C03FFA8.email@example.com> <Pine.GSO.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4C040BE8.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, 31 May 2010, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Daniel Baumann (email@example.com) wrote on 31 May 2010 21:20:
>On 05/31/2010 08:28 PM, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>> Well, I was going to do that now, but there appears not to be any
>> torrents made for the -live images, at least I can't find any.
>as said, whoever is in charge of creating the torrents didn't do it. i
>don't know who that is, and it didn't happen. but i assume that this
>person is reading firstname.lastname@example.org, so for the next point release, we
>will hopefully have official torrents back.
>for the current one, a brave user stepped ahead and filled the gap a few
>days ago (which is what we're currently linking to from live.debian.net).
If enough mirrors had these images wouldn't it be sufficient for
users? Debian has a good mirror network, and I suppose downloading
from a mirror is equivalent to doing it via torrent, *if* the mirror
has enough bandwidth.
They are included in the general debian-cd distribution to mirrors, but
since they don't release with the normal images but in their own schedule,
I'm not sure downstreams mirrors get triggers appropriately eithe.
That said, there is plenty of speed available from mirrors apart form
during the release crunch. The torrents are likely to be significantly
slower than http downloads unless you have really weird constraints for
some other reason.