Environment variables vs. command-line arguments

It seems there is quite a hodge-podge of calling conventions for passing config variables to the scripts in the tools/ directory. Several scripts take command line arguments; others use environment variables. Some use both.

Is there a method to this madness?

It seems to me that it would be easier to use the environment for standard config variables (such as MIRROR, NONFREE, etc, etc)

which_deb, for instance, takes the config variables of MIRROR and CODENAME as its first two arguments, followed by a package name and output format (which I believe should be arguments). Is there a reason this couldn't be read from the environment? (Thus making it more consistent with other scripts, as well as more expandable, IMO)

--
Jonathan

--
Inbound and outbound email scanned for spam and viruses by the

DoubleCheck Email Manager: http://www.doublecheckemail.com