Re: Suggestions for the installer

On Friday 08 May 2009, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> yesterday I tested the last installation-cd of Debian Lenny. I tried to
> take the view for an unexprienced user and tested the autoinstall
> routine for kde. As I own a 64-bit cpu, I chose 64-bit.
>
> There were some things, I noticed, if they were discussed before,
> please apologize.

A better way to communicate such thoughts would be to file an installation
report [1]. The debian-cd list does not really cover the installer
itself.

> 1. As I am German, I chose "German". At some points, the translation
> seems not always been to German. Especially at the point, were you have
> to decide, which partition type you want (full harddrive, .....with
> lvm......., with enncrypted lvm...., you know what I mean). Maybe you
> should add a suggestion for unexperienced users (I chose the first
> one).

Translation issues are best discussed directly with the translators on the
debian-l10n-german mailing list [2].

> 2. As everything else was working fine, I could start at last into kde.
> BTW: The whole installation process lasted 30 minutes!!! Very fast!!!
> Amazing!!! (A Vista installation on the same system with basic +
> notebook-drivers lasted 3 hours.)

Yes, it is fast isn't it? :-)

> Anyway, I remarked, that kde is still in English.

It shouldn't be. The installer will load localization packages for KDE
*if* they are available. Start aptitude and under tasks/localization look
for the "German KDE desktop" task. That task should get selected and
installed automatically.

> All at all I liked the new install process, it is really fast, easy to
> handle and seem to work well. Ah, and I used the multiboot-dvd, maybe
> this is important to know.

It could explain the missing translation if you chose to use only the CD
during installation and did not also select a mirror.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-german/